11.5.08

New York Odyssey


I was working with JB tonight and the radio was whispering classics from Gold. Just as I was heading home comes on the lovely 'Talking In Your Sleep' by Romantics, which got me to stay groovin and jivin for a few extra minutes much to Jesse's delight.

It reminded me of an amazing compilation from a while ago that a friend introduced me to. It's by a dude I don't like at all - Armand van Helden. He's an absolute douche and his songs make me puke. Yet many of the classic songs he compiled for his New York: A Mix Oddyssey are brilliant, excluding his own tracks which he conveniently slotted in (puke).

The tracks are apparently a concoction representational of the New York night life scene - many styles, many eras. There is 80s, rock, dance punk, electroclash, pop, and whatever else. It features Blondie, Felix da Housecat, Yes, Soft Cell, and of course Romantics, along with a few slightly lesser known names. The tracklisting is below, as well as my favourites for your aural pleasure as per usual (obviously none of his originals).

Armand van Helden - New York: A Mix Odyssey

AvH - Intro
Blondie - Call Me
AvH - Here My Name

Klonhertz - Three Girl Rhumba (The Wire Cover)
Felix da Housecat - Watching Cars Go By
Yazoo - Don't Go
Heavy Rock - I Just Wanna Be A Drummer
Ab/dc - This Feeling
Ram Jam - Black Betty (AvH Remix)
Jesse & Crabbe - The Big Boo Ya
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
AvH - My My My

Romantics - Talking In Your Sleep
Aloud - Rocky Xiii
AvH - Let Me Lead You
Company B - Fascinated
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

Other favourites were Call Me, Tainted Love, Black Betty and Owner of a Lonely Heart, however I thought I'd post the more obscure favs.

No comments: